Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Tone Damli Aaberge's kinda weird looking cousin, and two jazz giants

I'm realizing that in order to improve I need to draw portraits from a variety of angles, with a variety of expressions. As much as I like drawing good-looking girls it's just as much fun drawing people with quirks.


In this instance I went for Tone Damli Aaberge. The photo I went by had a somewhat unusual angle, making her face look slightly odd. I went overboard by accident, so she looks more than slightly odd.

However, if you're a heterosexual male I recommend checking out her latest music video.


(You can mute the audio if you want to)

Next I chose an iconic photo of Miles Davis.


This one I'm actually pretty happy with. It made me want to get some charcoal gear, but that's for later. Still, this might be the first portrait where I clearly recognize who it is.

And if you're a human being I recommend checking out this one


(No muting allowed)

Finally there's John Coltrane.


Also decently happy with this one. I don't really have anyone offering critique or suggestions, but I know what I like, and I dislike my drawings less and less.

The obvious music suggestion for Coltrane would be Giant Steps, a song I guess I'll never finish learning, but today I'm in more of a Kind of Blue kind of mood.




Plans for the next update? At the moment I'm enjoying drawing some of my jazz heroes, so I'll give Jaco Pastorius and Bill Evans a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment